Monday, June 14, 2010

Foreword

Before I start posting my content, I’m sure the people who have stumbled onto my site are wondering about my unique title. Thoughts like “Is this blog about being a failure?” ranging to “Wow, these Design work do fail” come to mind, but I do want to quickly explain the intent of this blog.

When I was in college, I came across a quote from another Game Designer’s blog. It read “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” - Samuel Becket. While I’ve regretfully forgotten the name of the blog and even the Designer, this phrase has never left me.

So why is my blog based off this quote?

This blog isn’t about showing my successes, but about showing my growth as a Designer even after I’ve failed one project after the other. Some might not be as bad as others; some might not even truly be failures. But in my mind, without wanting to improve on everything I create, I won’t be able to mature. So I write this, not with the intention to flaunt my success, but to “Fail Again”, over and over, until I “Fail Better”.

“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.” – Niels Bohr

No comments: